Introducing April Kae!
April Kae is an upcoming pop-dance artist with a powerful voice. Her debut single, Writings on the Wall is out now and available on iTunes. If you are a fan of Christina Aguilera or Kelly Clarkson, you will love this song – it is an anthem for women everywhere. I also had the pleasure of interviewing the talented, Californian beauty:
- First off, I want to thank you for taking the time to answer these questions and tell you how amazingly talented you are! You have such a powerful voice, how would you describe your upcoming album? Thank you so much! The album is still in the works, but I think it is safe to say that it will have a lot of songs with powerful messages and danceable beats. I am at a point in my life where I feel uplifted, and I want to uplift others as well. Don’t get me wrong, I have plenty to talk about, heartache included. But I want my general message to be one of inspiration and having the confidence to move forward.
- Your first single entitled, Writings On The Wall has an empowering, strong message behind it. Did you draw inspiration from a particular past relationship? The Writings On The Wall was written by two very talented writers and musicians, Scott Kreitzer and John Pahmer. While I did not have a part in writing the song myself, I did feel very personally connected to the song and used those emotions in my performance of it. It talks about being lied to in a relationship- thinking things are one way and really they turn out to be something entirely different. Being lied to makes me feel hurt but more so than that it makes me angry. So I used some of that anger and sassiness in the song as well.
- I love that you enjoy being different. You are quoted as saying, “Being normal is something that I strive to never be.” What advice can you give to young girls out there who are still trying to find their inner confidence? Well I can say that I believe that finding your confidence and discovering who you are is a lifelong journey. I know I am only 21, but I expect to still be discovering things about myself for the rest of my life. The trick is to enjoy this discovery without judging yourself. Allow yourself to be and realize that you are beautiful in your uniqueness. I know that this is harder than it sounds. I spent a large part of my life trying to run away from who I am but now I just try my best to appreciate it. I think that is all we can really do. Appreciate ourselves.
- Congratulations on being on American Idol Season 10! What did you take away from your Idol experience? And how was it performing in front of the new judge’s panel? What a whirlwind experience that was! I was so nervous to perform in front of such music legends (At the time the judges were Randy, Jennifer, and Steven). But I tried to remember that they were all right where I was at one time. And the great thing about those three is that their humbleness really came through. They truly listened to and supported all of the contestants, and I really appreciated that.
- Who would you list as your musical influences? There are so many! I would have to say my top influences are Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera, and Luther Vandross. The thing I love most about those three artists is that they all bring an incredible passion and understanding to their work. You can hear the feeling in every note that they sing.
- You also have a hidden talent – you’re an award-winning horsewoman! Do you miss riding at all? I still do it! I try to ride as much as I can when I am home in San Diego. I have the same horse I have had since I was ten years old- and he is still going strong! I am actually showing at a horse show in Las Vegas next month (with a different horse- my horse Silver spends most of his time hanging out with kids at the barn and eating carrots).
- What else do you enjoy doing on your down time? Lately I have been having a hard time relaxing- I am always thinking about the next thing I want to do. But when I do find the time to take a break I enjoy watching TV with my family (we love DEXTER!), playing with my dogs, working out, outdoorsy stuff (canoeing, kayaking, sailing, hiking), and hanging out with my friends.
- You are naturally so beautiful; do you have any beauty secrets? Any favorite beauty products? Thank you! I’m not sure if I have any secrets … I try to do the typical things you are supposed to do to take care of your skin- wash my face every day, wear sunscreen when I go outside, moisturize a lot, things like that. I don’t spend an inordinate amount of time getting ready in the morning, but I do try to always look nice. But I don’t let myself obsess about little things. After all, those little imperfections are what make us beautiful, right?
- What is the best piece of advice you have been given regarding your career thus far? The best piece of advice I have ever received is to take advantage of the things that make me special. The thing that is so great about this business is that we get to make money out of just being ourselves and doing what we love to do. There are things that I am good at, and there are things that I need to work harder at. So I try to accentuate those good things- it makes my job easier and more fun. And I hang on to the hope that with hard work some of those things I’m not as good at will become things I am great at!
- When can we expect another single? Any hints about what the song will be about? Oooh I can’t wait for you guys to hear the next single! Without giving away too much, the song is about escaping from things in your life that are bad for you. I can also guarantee that this song will have you up and dancing! We haven’t set a release date just yet, but it should be out by the end of the year.
- Now to some fun questions. Do you prefer salty snacks or sweet? I have a pretty serious sweet tooth, but I can get down with salty snacks when the time is right.
- Celebrity Crush? Christian Bale! I have actually been a fan of his since way before Batman. I think he is an incredibly talented actor and he is so passionate about his work- that’s what I find most attractive about him.
- Favorite book? I have a lot of books that I love, but I think my favorite book is ‘The Catcher in the Rye’.
- Favorite current song? Right now I’m loving ‘Titanium’ by David Guetta (feat. Sia). I think the message and the musicality are both amazing. And you can’t go wrong with a little ‘Gangnam Style’!
- TV Show? Oh my gosh there are way too many to choose from! Right now I am watching old seasons of Community- I think that show is brilliant! And I am also super excited to start watching the new season of The Office (although I’m sad that it’s the last one).
- Movie genre? I love psychological thrillers- the creepier the better.
- Last question, Hunger Games or Twilight :-) ? Hunger Games.